If you are a customer placing an order or just visiting our website, we act as the ‘data controller’ of personal data. This means we determine how and why your data are processed. For such purposes the data controller is Uppdoo Inc., 916 Bloor Street West, Toronto ON Canada.
Types of Data We Collect
- Contact details
Your last name, shipping address, billing address, city, country, postal code and email address. Optionally, you may provide us with your first name, your university email address and your apartment/suite etc. number. If you order products to be delivered to a third party, we will gain knowledge of at least their shipping address and potentially of their other contact details.
- Financial information
When you are using a credit card in order to make a payment, we may collect the four last digits of the card number, the cardholder name and the expiration date of the card. When you are making a payment via PayPal, we collect the first name, last name and email address connected with the PayPal account.
- Data we collect automatically
- Data relevant to your identity online and your location
Your IP (Internet Protocol) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, browser type, browser plug-in types, time zone setting, operating system and version, timestamp signature, device type, geolocation information about where you might be, login information relevant to our website and the reference code when you partake to our friend referral program. You may choose not to share your location details with us by adjusting your location services settings.
- Data relevant to your use of our website
Your URL clickstreams (the path you take through our site), products/services viewed, page response times, download errors, how long you stay on our pages, what you do on those pages, how often, and other actions.
- Special categories of data and children's data
We don’t collect any data about you revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, or trade-union membership, genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person, data concerning health or data concerning sex life or sexual orientation, except when we have your explicit consent, or when we have to comply with the law.
- Photos for security reasons
For security reasons only (for example when there is suspicion of a fraudulent buy) and on rare occasions, we might ask you to send us a photograph of your passport, in order to verify your identity, which we shall immediately destroy once your identity is verified. Additionally, when we offer you customer support, you might, out of your own initiative, provide us with details that are considered special categories of data relevant to your request.
We do not target www.uppdoo.com at children, and we do not knowingly collect any personal data from any person under 16 years of age.
Information Collected by Third Parties through Third-Party Links and Content
www.uppdoo.com may include links to other websites and other content from third-parties which are outside our control. We are not responsible for the security, privacy of the information collected by these third parties or the privacy practices of these third parties or the content on any third-party website. We thus encourage you to review the privacy policies of those third parties.
Our Legal Bases for Processing Your Personal Data
In order to collect and/or use your personal data we have at least one of the following legal bases:
You have given us clear and explicit consent to process your personal data for one or more specific purposes. If you have previously given consent to processing your data, you can withdraw such consent at any time. You can do this by emailing us at email@example.com. If you do withdraw your consent, and if we do not have another legal basis for processing your information (for example to defend a legal claim, or because we are obliged to retain such information by law), then we will stop processing your personal data. If we do have another legal basis for processing your information, then we may continue to do so, subject to your legal rights.
Processing your data is necessary for a contract to be formulated and executed with us (for the sale of products or otherwise), or because such information is necessary before entering into that contract.
- Existing customers
If you have been our customer in the past, we may communicate with you via email, in order to inform you about products similar to the ones you showed interest in, which we think you may like (read more below, at the section Email list, newsletter and promotional emails)
- Legitimate interests
Processing your data is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party, provided those interests are not outweighed by your rights and interests. These legitimate interests are:
◦ delivering, developing and improving our services and products
◦ determining whether marketing campaigns are effective
◦ improving data security
◦ gaining insights from your behaviour on our website in order to be able to offer you and third-parties services and products which they find useful
In each case, we found that these legitimate interests were not outweighed by your rights and interests.
- Legal obligation
Processing of your data is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, providing you invoices).
Why do we collect your personal data and how do we use them?
We use your personal data for the following reasons:
- To Provide you the services and items you request
(legal bases: contract and legitimate interest)
- To Manage your orders and requests, login and authentication
- To remember your settings
- To processing orders and payments
- To issue send you invoices as may be required by law
- For Customer support
(legal bases: contract and legitimate interest)
- To Notify you of any changes to our service/the fulfillment of your order
- To address requests/complaints and solve issues via email or phone support, including any bug fixing
- For Marketing purposes
(legal bases: consent and legitimate interest)
- To send you emails and messages about news, new features, products, services, offers/discounts, information about the store and content (if you are already a customer or with your explicit consent)
- To send you emails to ask you if you want to continue a transaction that you started but did not conclude
- To offer via email, only with their consent, discounts to specific categories of potential clients (example university students) and to existing and potential customers through a friend referral program
- To Personalize our services by understanding the interests of our customers and our website visitors
- To assess the effectiveness of our marketing efforts
- For Analytics purposes/Improving our services
(legal bases: consent and legitimate interest)
Such as: to test features, interact with feedback platforms and questionnaires, manage landing pages, heat map our site, traffic optimization and data analysis and research.
- Email list, newsletter and promotional emails
(legal bases: consent/legitimate interest)
We may send newsletters and promotional emails containing information about new products, offers/discounts etc. and news and information about our store. We will only send you newsletters and promotional emails if one of two conditions apply:
◦ You are a registered user of www.uppdoo.com
◦ You have subscribed to our promotional email list
◦ You are an existing customer and we believe you might be interested in receiving information about our new products, events and offers
In case you have chosen to subscribe to our promotional email list, the following terms apply:
◦ We shall include you in our promotional email list, once you have provided a valid email and have pressed the "subscribe" button.
◦ We shall only collect the email you have provided us with in order to facilitate our communications and no other personal data and for no other reason.
◦ We shall ask for explicit consent before we collect any other data on you, which may be perceived as personal.
You can always unsubscribe by following the dedicated link at the end of each newsletter and the procedure described therein or by emailing your request at firstname.lastname@example.org
How We Protect Your Data
However, please keep in mind that no data transmission is guaranteed to be 100% secure. You are responsible of your username and password so please keep them safe and secret. If you believe your privacy has been breached, please contact us without delay by sending us an email at email@example.com
- You have the right to access information we hold about you. You can contact Uppdoo Inc. and we shall inform you about any of your data that has been used by www.uppdoo.com
- You have the right to ask us to correct personal data about you if they are inaccurate or incomplete.
- You can object to us using your data for profiling you or making automated decisions about you. Please note that exercising this right does not equal to an obligation on our behalf to not show advertisements at all.
4.You have the right to be ‘forgotten’. All you have to do is ask and we will delete your data unless we have another legal reason to hold your personal data (such as a legal claim or a regulatory requirement).
- You can ask us not to use your data for direct marketing purposes.
- You can file a complaint regarding our use of your data to the Data Protection Authority.
Please tell us first and we would be happy to address your concerns. If you insist on contacting the Office of the Commissioner for Personal Data Protection, you can find out how to reach it and exercise your rights at their website (www.priv.gc.ca).
You can exercise all the aforementioned rights (with the exception of number 6) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We shall address your request within 30 days of its receipt, unless it is too complicated, or we are dealing simultaneously with too many such requests. In the latter case it may take us up to two additional months to address your request, but we will let you know if that is the case within 30 days of the receipt of your initial request.
Storage of Data
As a general rule, we will only keep your personal data for as long as it is necessary in order to provide you with our services, unless we are required by law to keep them for an extended time. We may however keep your personal data for a period of time in order to exercise or defend a legal claim or in case we are obliged by a legal provision to do so. Additionally, we will only store the email addresses of our customers to send them our newsletter and marketing emails, a function from which they may unsubscribe at anytime.
Third Parties and Sharing Your Information
As with most e-commerce stores, we often have to resort to third party vendors in order to be able to keep www.uppdoo.com up and running, to provide our website’s services and in order to be able to perform all its functions already explained above.
These third parties help us host our website and store, facilitate your payments, communicate with you, power our emails, help us provide you better services, analyse the performance of our website etc.
To that extent, sometimes it is necessary for us to share your data with them, in order to get these services to work well. Please note that we will never sell your personal data to anyone.
Bellow you can find our main third-party service providers with which we may be sharing your personal information.
In order to effectively provide you with the services of our website and store on www.uppdoo.com we make use of a very popular and highly regarded third party ecommerce platform more specifically Shopify (www.shopify.com). This platform also facilitates us with payments and provides us anonymous aggregates statistics regarding the use of this website. In the course of offering our services, Shopify uses a number of machine learning algorithms and forms of automated decision-making. Most of these algorithms are not fully automated and include some human intervention (for example, customer risk and fraud scores are provided to merchants, who must intentionally decide how to act on them). By visiting our website and using our store you explicitly agree to our use of this service. You can learn more about the manner by which Shopify shall processes personal data, and what data they collect, or we share with them, here:
In order to be able to offer better services and to collect aggregated anonymized information about the use and performance of our website, we make use of the services of a third party service, more specifically Google (Analytics) (www.google.com/analytics). By visiting our website and using our store you explicitly agree to our use of this service. You can learn more about the manner by which Google Analytics shall processes personal data, and what data they collect, or we share with them, here:
You can opt-out of Google Analytics by installing Google’s opt-out browser add-on, and out of interest-based Google ads using Google’s Ads Settings.
In order to be able to offer better services, we make use of the services of a third party service, more specifically Facebook (Business) (www.facebook.com/business). By visiting our website and using our store you explicitly agree to our use of this service. You can learn more about the manner by which Facebook (Business) shall processes personal data, and what data they collect, or we share with them, here:
In order to offer you a convenient way to pay for your purchases, we make use of the services of a third-party payment processor, more specifically PayPal (www.paypal.com). By using PayPal as a payment method, you explicitly agree to their terms for using their services. You can learn more about the manner in which PayPal shall process personal data, and what data they collect, or we share with them, here:
Except for the information specified under the section Financial information, all information collected by the above third-party providers for purposes of processing your payments is not available to us, unless you have otherwise provided this information to us in connection with your use of our website and store or our products and services.
Finally, in order to effectively fulfil your orders, we also share your information with companies to facilitate getting your purchases to you, such as warehouses, order packers, and delivery companies.
If you disagree with the processing of personal data performed by any of the aforementioned third-parties, we urge to refrain from using our website and/or store.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
What are Cookies? Cookies are small data files that are placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are widely used to enable website functionality, efficiency or reporting
What are Web beacons? Web beacons are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that websites to recognize when somebody has visited them.
What are Local Storages? Local Storages are web applications which can store data locally within the user’s browser.
For the purposes of this section and to keep things less complicated, under the Term “Cookies” all the aforementioned technologies shall be understood.
Cookies are widely used to enable website functionality, efficiency or reporting, and they are not able to execute code or access other information stored on the computer. The information is used to optimize the users’ experience by customizing our web page content based on visitors’ browser type and/or other information. These may be "session" cookies, meaning they delete themselves when you leave www.uppdoo.com, or "persistent" cookies which do not delete themselves and help us recognise you when you return. They can be placed by the domain operating the website or by third parties.
We use the following main types of cookies on www.uppdoo.com:
- Essential website cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our Website and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas.
- Site functionality cookies, which allow you to navigate our website and use features, such as “Add to Cart”.
- Customer preference cookies, which will remember your preferences and details, so that your experience is more personal and streamlined.
- Website analytics cookies, which allow us to analyse how our customers use our site, in order to improve it.
- Targeting, tracking and advertising cookies: these cookies are used to:
◦ deliver ads regarding our products and services which might be relevant or useful to you.
◦ recognize new visitors to our web sites.
◦ recognize past customers.
◦ store your password if you are registered on our site.
◦ improve our website.
◦ integrate with third party social media websites.
◦ serve you with interest-based or targeted advertising.
◦ better understand the interests of our customers and our website visitors
◦ measure statistics relating to marketing efforts
Information that may be collected by cookies when you use our website and store may include, without limitation:
- the pages you visit within our website;
- the date and time of your visit to our website;
- the amount of time you spend using our website;
- the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet; and/or
- your computer and connection information such as your browser type and version, operating system and platform.
This information is collected to enhance the site performance and end user experience. You can set your browser to reject cookies or to notify you when you are sent a cookie.
We will not associate identifiers from cookies or similar technologies with sensitive categories of data about you, such as race, religion, sexual orientation or health.
Currently all of the cookies on our website are placed by third party vendors (such as Facebook, Google etc). You can find which those third parties are at the section Third Parties and Sharing Your Information of this policy. Additionally, we may process anonymized data from cookies relevant to consumer behaviour on our website, in order to provide you with better services.
By using www.uppdoo.com, you agree to placing the aforementioned cookies on your device and accessing them when you visit the site in the future. Nonetheless, you have the right to accept, delete, block or reject cookies by modifying your browser settings accordingly. You can find out how by visiting websites such as allaboutcookies.org.
Our "Do Not Track" Policy
Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that allows you to tell a web site not to track you. We do not currently respond to those signals. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop. Certain options you select are browser and device specific.
Please note that by deleting or disabling cookies, your user experience may be affected, and you might not be able to take advantage of certain functions of our website.
Where can you get further information?
916 Bloor St. West M6H 1l1
Toronto ON Canada